How to Save Money on Home Heating Costs This Winter
Saving on Home Heating Costs as Natural Gas Increases – Maintaining your heating unit is key to reducing costs. Maintaining your heating unit in the North Las Vegas area is key to reducing costs. A preventive maintenance plan with your HVAC repair company will ensure your unit stays in great shape. Minor repairs done during maintenance visits will improve efficiency and lower energy usage. Request Service Today! (702) 869-8093
Consider replacing old units to combat rising gas prices. If your unit is over 10 years old, unreliable, or noisy, it may be time for a new one. Consult your HVAC repair company near you in Las Vegas, to assess if air conditioning and heating repair or replacement is more cost-effective. An energy-efficient model will guarantee reduced heating expenses.
• Maintain your heating units. This is the most effective way to lower your natural gas bill. Get your heating system inspected and tuned up by a professional at least once a year.
• Insulate your home. This will trap heat inside and reduce your energy consumption. Insulate your attic, walls, and floors. You can also insulate your water heater tank to reduce standby heat loss.
• Seal air leaks. Air leaks can let warm air escape from your home, costing you money on your heating bill. Seal any air leaks around windows, doors, and other openings in your home.
• Use weatherstripping and caulking. This will help to seal air leaks and keep the warm air inside your home.
• Close your blinds and curtains on cold days. This will help to insulate your home and keep the heat in.
Here are some additional tips:
• Turn down your thermostat. You can save up to 10% on your heating bill each year by turning down your thermostat by 7-10 degrees for 8 hours a day.
• Install a programmable thermostat. This will allow you to program your thermostat to automatically adjust the temperature when you’re asleep or away from home.
• Close unused rooms. There’s no need to heat rooms that you’re not using. Close the doors to unused rooms and close the vents in those rooms.
• Use ceiling fans. Ceiling fans can help to circulate warm air and make your home feel warmer.
• Use space heaters. Space heaters can be a good way to heat a specific room or area of your home without having to heat the entire house.
Ventilation blockages can cause your heating system to work harder than necessary, which wastes energy and increases your natural gas bill. To unblock your vents, simply move any furniture or other objects that are blocking them. You should also check your vents regularly for dust and cobwebs and remove them as needed.
Lowering your thermostat setting by even a few degrees can also save you significant money on your natural gas bill. According to Energy.gov, lowering your thermostat by 7 to 10 degrees during the day can help you lower your energy costs by as much as 10% a year.
Your Water Heater’s Temperature May Be Too High
Many homeowners have their water heater’s temperature set too high. If it’s hotter than necessary, you waste energy and pay more on your natural gas bill.
To lower your bill, lower the temperature setting by a few degrees. Experiment to find the lowest temperature that still allows for hot showers.
Avoid Using Your Fireplace Often
Using your fireplace frequently can stress your heating system and raise energy bills. The warm air from the chimney creates a vacuum that brings in cold air.
A wood-burning fireplace can make you lose up to 24,000 cubic feet of air in less than an hour. Limit your fireplace usage this winter to keep warm air in and cold air out.
Wear Extra Layers of Clothing
Wearing an extra layer of clothing, using covers, and bundling up can keep you comfortable while using natural gas for heating. Lower your thermostat and wear a sweater to reduce heating costs.
Turn down the thermostat at night, add an extra blanket to your bed, and wear layers during the day. Lowering the indoor temperature from 8 am to 5 pm can also help you save money on heating.
At Comfort Masters Company, we set the standard for furnace repair, maintenance and installation excellence. Our commitment to fast, friendly and professional service has earned us countless lifetime customers.
Request Service Today!
1980 Festival Plaza Dr
Las Vegas, NV 89135
We offer a variety of services, including:
• Heating and air conditioning repair and replacement
• Indoor air quality testing and improvement
• Duct cleaning and repair
• Commercial HVAC services
We are committed to providing our customers with the highest quality service and support. Call us today to learn more about how we can help you save money on your energy bills and improve the comfort of your home or business.